According to various histories, the first school in Holt was a one-room log building built at Hurricane Head that operated from 1888 to 1915. The one-room building was replaced with a three-room wood building in 1915. In 1924, a two-story brick building was built and operated as a high school during the mid-1920s until it was destroyed by fire. The school, as seen in the photo above, was rebuilt as a one-story brick building. It was operating as a kindergarten-through-sixth-grade elementary school when it was closed in 1983.